Wondering why you don’t feel vibrant and healthy?
Feel like you’re not reaching full potential?
I’ve been there!
Feeling tired, sluggish, and irritable and not knowing how to feel better. Until I discovered how to work WITH my body to improve my health…
How I became a Naturopathic Doctor
A typical student
Picture this… A typical university student, wearing sweats, sleeping late, and living on junk food. In my case, french fries, chocolate milk, toast, and pizza… I always felt like I should eat healthier but I didn’t know how.
Finding out what GOOD feels like
While living in Mexico for a semester, I reached a breaking point. No matter what or how much/little I ate I felt sluggish and bloated most of th time! And cranky too!
I’d heard about the Blood Type Diet and the little I learned about my blood type (Blood Type O) had resonated with me. At first I thought it was impossible to change my diet, but the idea stuck with me. So I started with a few simple changes to eat right for my type and was amazed to experience an immediate dramatic improvement in my energy, mood, and digestion! Click here to listen to my story in an interview for CBC Radio.
Once I returned to Canada, I continued to make incremental changes to my diet and noticed I no longer needed 9 hours of sleep every night to feel OK – I was now waking before my alarm every day feeling rested! And I continued to be less and less bloated and fatigued – was able to do more with my time and enjoy myself. It actually took some time for me to get used to these changes – I had become accustomed to feeling mediocre or worse all the time! Once I actually felt GOOD, it was a revelation: It IS possible to feel healthy most of the time!
Discovering natural medicine
This experience awakened my curiosity about natural health, so once I graduated with an Honours Bachelor of Commerce from Queen’s University, I worked in packaged goods by day while learning voraciously about health and wellness in my spare time.
Over the next few years I harnessed the power of natural medicine to further transform my body, mind, and health in ways I never thought possible: From tired, cranky, and sluggish to vibrant, optimistic, and excited about life.
And I established core beliefs that still drive my practice today:
1. Health is wealth
Health is a life requirement, not just to function, but to live to your full potential! Without health, it is impossible to pursue other goals. Without health, everything else becomes irrelevant. Health is the true measure of wealth.
2. Innate ability to heal
Each of us is a collection of intertwined systems that constantly seek balance. Once we address underlying causes of disease/dysfunction and establish a nurturing environment, our body can regulate itself to resolve and prevent illness.
Back to school!
After discovering what a Naturopathic Doctor was through reading about the Blood Type Diet, and watching lots of Oprah who preached to “follow your passion”, I realized that as a Naturopathic Doctor I could build a career that aligned with my core beliefs.
So, I dismantled my current life (quit my job, moved multiple times, liquidated my savings, added student debt) and returned to school to become a Naturopathic Doctor.
Education and Credentials
I graduated at the top of my class from the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) in 2010, winning the Governors’ Award of Excellence for outstanding academic performance.
I have since pursued additional education in these key areas:
- Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis
- Small Intestinal Bacterial Overgrowth and Gut Dysbiosis
- Women’s health concerns and pelvic (gynecological) exams (including teaching at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine)
- Pregnancy, breastfeeding, and neonatal care (including nutrition, food introduction, herbs, and homeopathy)
- Personalized nutrition, including the Blood Type Diet, GenoType Diet, and SWAMI GenoType (certified Master of the Institute for Human Individuality (IfHI))
- Biotherapeutic Drainage
- Miasm, Temperament, and Constitution
- Classical Homeopathy
Find out more about my Areas of Expertise.
I have been featured on:
- CBC Metro Morning with Matt Galloway
- CP24 Wylde On Health with Bryce Wylde
- Resident health expert on Bryce Wylde’s health information hub, Wylde About Health
- The Toronto Star, Elle Canada, Reader’s Digest Canada, and NOW Magazine
- The only Naturopathic Doctor in Ontario certified as a Master of the Institute for Human Individuality (IfHI), an organization founded by Peter D’Adamo, ND (author of Eat Right For Your Type)