Thanks to Dr. Mike Evans for his great website and his video 23 and 1/2 hours (which you can watch in less than 10 minutes!). And, thanks to Melanie DesChatelets for posting the video on her blog! Below I’ve summarized the key points I took away from this video.
So, what is the best medicine? EXERCISE. In fact, low fitness level is the strongest predictor of death, so improving fitness can have the biggest impact on your overall health!
What can exercise treat?
- Arthritis (reduces pain and disability)
- Alzheimer’s disease (reduces dementia)
- Diabetes (reduces progression)
- Osteoporosis and fracture risk
- Anxiety and depression (higher dose more effective!)
- Risk of death
- Obesity (duh!), but activity even if still obese still improves health!
- Heart disease (also duh!)
- And so many more… (like cancer, hormonal imbalances, insomnia, etc)
How much exercise do you need?
- Most research focused on WALKING, which is a great place to start for most people
- However, higher intensity and other types of exercise are also incredibly helpful
- 30 minutes per day minimum for adults (60 minutes per day for kids)
Finally, a major take-away is that we all need to manage our time to support our health. You can find 30 minutes per day to take the best medicine.