Happy St. Patrick’s Day!
One of the ways I’m (trying) to ward off COVID-related malaise/depression/fatigue is by celebrating minor holidays. I got this idea from one of my favourite authors Gretchen Rubin and her article Celebrate Leap Day, or Any Other Minor Holiday.
The first thing that came to mind when I thought about how to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day was… The McDonald’s Shamrock Shake! Or, rather, how could I make a healthier but still delicious version of that famous mint milkshake?
My version has lots of veggies and healthy fats! I don’t expect it will pose much competition to McDonald’s, but it’s a fun way to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day or just a nice spin on a green smoothie.
Minty Green Smoothie
- 1 ripe or overripe banana
- 1 part frozen broccoli
- 1 part frozen peas
- 1 part avocado
- Almond milk to cover other ingredients (I used unsweetened vanilla)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract (per approximately 2 cups smoothie)
- Agave syrup to taste (I used 2 Tablespoons per 2 cups smoothie)
- Place banana, broccoli, peas, and avocado in a container (I recommend a large glass jar or smoothie cup).
- Add enough almond milk to cover fruits and veggies.
- Let sit at least a few hours or overnight in fridge.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add peppermint extract and agave to taste until you are happy with the flavour.