Eat well, save time
Have you tried overnight oats yet? If you like oatmeal but DISLIKE wasting time, overnight oats is for you!
Overnight oats, aka oats you don’t have to cook, have been trendy for several years now, but I’ve only recently been making them regularly. I’ve tried several different recipes online and ultimately settled on the following basic recipe and optional additional ingredients.
This recipe is perfect as a simple, fast breakfast. I make this for my toddler for mornings she is going to daycare and I need to give her something for breakfast but don’t have time for food prep. Right now our favourite combo is steel cut oats, almond milk, maple syrup, and cinnamon but she also loves when I add raisins or dried cherries (because she finds all the dried fruit and eats that first!).
Outstanding Overnight Oats
Gluten-free (if using gluten-free oats), dairy-free, egg-free, and can be nut free depending on the milk and additional ingredients you choose. Makes about 2-3 servings.
- 1 cup rolled oats or steel cut oats
- 1 cup non-dairy milk such as almond, hemp, soy, etc (you can use a bit more with steel cut oats depending on your preference, up to 1½ cups)
Optional additions: Add to oats and milk
- 1-2 Tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 Tablespoons dried fruit
- ½ to 1 Tablespoon sweetener (maple syrup, agave syrup, honey)
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ scoop protein powder
Topping ideas: Add immediately prior to eating
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons nut butter
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons chopped or crushed nuts
1. Place oats plus any additional dry ingredients into a container (mason jar, mug, bowl) and mix to combine.
2. Add almond milk and any additional liquid ingredients.
3. Stir well to combine.
4. Cover the container and place in refrigerator overnight. It is important to let the oats sit for at least 8-10 hours for best results, especially if you are using steel cut oats.
5. Reheat before eating if you prefer, or eat cold. No need for cooking!
6. Add any additional toppings immediately before eating.
For more recipes, check out my Recipes page!