What is an effective treatment for sinus congestion due to cold, flu, sinusitis, and allergies?
Many people have heard of the neti pot via television and it really is an easy, fun, gentle, and effective way to treat and eliminate sinus issues.
How do I do it?
- Fill your neti pot with approximately 1 cup of warm or lukewarm water. Be sure to use filtered water that has had at least the chlorine removed (which can be done using a basic carbon filter). I like to boil water and let it cool before putting in the neti pot.
- Dissolve ¼ tsp of non-iodized salt in the neti pot. Sea salt or Himalayan salt works well. Avoid iodized salt, which can be irritating.
- Over a sink, nestle the spout of the neti pot gently just inside or against one nostril.
- Breathe in and out through your mouth as you lean forward, tilt your head up on the side of the neti pot, and pour the liquid gently into your nostril.
- A stream of water should come out through the opposite nostril. Keep breathing through your mouth!
- You can use the entire neti pot or just half in one nostril. When you have finished on one side, blow your nose and switch sides.
- After finishing both sides, blow your nose a few more times. It is normal to have some water drip out of your nose.
What are the benefits?
- Reduces sinus inflammation and congestion immediately
- Nourishes nasal and sinus tissue
- Long-term, improves the function of nasal and sinus tissue
- Effective at preventing and treating allergies, upper respiratory tract infections, and sinusitis