Eat your vegetables (and fruit)!
Remember how your parents were always trying to get you to eat your vegetables? It turns out, they were right!
Cardiovascular disease and cancer are the top two causes of death and these diseases develop over a lifetime and both are highly preventable by altering controllable risk factors. Regular consumption of fruits and vegetables is associated with a lower risk of cardiovascular disease (by 31%) and cancer (by between 2-20%), as well as stroke (by 19%), Alzheimer’s disease, aging, and many other concerns.
A good guideline is 5-6 servings fruits and vegetables daily. One serving is equal to one cup or one medium piece of fruit. The most effective way to gain the benefit from fruits and vegetables is to eat them as food (not as supplements).
Vitamin and mineral supplements can be useful for treating a wide range of health concerns, but they are never a substitute for a healthy diet. The health benefits of fruits and vegetables are due to additive and synergistic effects of phytochemicals found in these whole foods.
One simple, easy thing you can do to increase your fruit and veggie intake immediately is to drink a fruit and veggie smoothie daily. I pump up my smoothies with as many health-building ingredients as possible. You can customize your smoothie by choosing ingredients best for your blood type.
Superfood Smoothie Right for Your Type
(makes about 500mL – I use a large glass jar with a lid)
- 2 parts fresh/frozen FRUIT, such as these fruits beneficial/neutral for all blood types:
- And, if you know your blood type, here are fruits that are beneficial for your type:
- Blood Type O: Banana, guava, mango, pomegranate
- Blood Type A: Blackberries, pomegranate, prunes, watermelon
- Blood Type B: Banana, blackberries, grapes, watermelon
- Blood Type AB: Blackberries, grapes, kiwi, watermelon
- 1 part fresh/frozen VEGGIES, such as frozen peas or beets or easier-to-blend greens like swiss chard (don’t worry, you won’t taste the veggies!)
- 1-2 Tablespoons fibre, such as ground flaxseeds, hemp hearts, or psyllium husks
- 1-2 Tablespoons protein powder. I use a vegan protein blend (pea, rice, and hemp protein)
- ½ to 1 teaspoon greens powder (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a large jar or smoothie cup.
- Cover with water and let sit overnight in the fridge.
- In the morning, blend thoroughly until smooth (at least 30-60 seconds).
- Drink half of this mixture (1 serving) each day or drink half at breakfast and the other half as a snack later in the day.
For more recipes, check out my Recipes page!