I’m doing an elimination diet right now and one of the things I’ve eliminated is my beloved chocolate! To successfully abstain, it was crucial that I plan out some great non-chocolate snacks. One great substitute for me has been walnut butter. It is really easy to make and tastes amazing! Plus, walnuts are full of healthy fats and are a diamond superfood on my SWAMI. You can also add other nuts to this mix. Today I added pecans too (another superfood).
(makes about 400-500g of nut butter – enough to fill a large Nuts to You jar!)
- Other nuts to your liking (pecans work well, I think almonds would be too hard, but haven’t tried them)
- Sea salt
- Oil of your choice (I used grapeseed oil because that is all I had, but using walnut oil makes a lot of sense or any other oil you prefer)
1. Fill a chopper/grinder/food processor with nuts, like so:
2. Sprinkle in sea salt to taste. I have no idea how much I use, just a few shakes.
3. Chop the nuts until they are in tiny pieces, then switch to grinding until they are in even smaller pieces. They will look somewhat like this:
4. Add oil and keep grinding the mixture until it reaches the consistency you want. Again, I have no idea how much oil I use! Enough to make a thick, but not dry paste.
5. Empty walnut butter into a glass jar and store in the fridge. Enjoy on rice crackers, rice cakes, as a dip for veggies, or any other way you can think of.
For more recipes, check out my Recipes page!